THE MOST HONEST CUP OF COFFEE TASTES THE MOST LIKE…COFFEE
These are the principles that make a company important to people. We don’t just make one precious cup of coffee for one type of person. We make coffee that is time–tested, pure, strong, delicious, and loved by a whole city. This is what makes Vassilaros & Sons Coffee a fundamental part of New York City for four generations.
The Taste Ritual
Not everyone understands how a great cup of coffee is brought to you. Here are a few steps in our process:
- 1. We assess crop development in their respective countries of origin before engaging sellers.
- 2. We then request samples before purchasing the coffee from a particular country. In some cases, we have long-standing relationships in the producing country, which allows us access to coffee that meets our profile criteria
- 3. Once the coffee is purchased, shipped and discharged from a vessel into a coffee warehouse in New York, it is resampled and compared against the pre-shipment samples.
- 4. Once the coffee is accepted, we have it delivered to our roasting plant.
- 5. Upon arriving at the plant, the shipment is graded and cupped against the original sample. Once approved, the coffee is then ready for blending and roasting.
- 6. During the roasting process, we constantly monitor the bean color with sensitive lab instruments to ensure that our roast profile is maintained.
- 7. After the coffee is roasted, a 24-hour waiting period begins before grinding, allowing the coffee to degas and settle.
- 8. After the waiting period, the coffee is sent to the grinders. once ground, we give our newly blended roast its final taste test, exactly the way our customers will be drinking it.
The beans are from Central & South America but the coffee is from New York City.
In order to be true to the blend, we make a point to visit the smaller coffee farmers and growers in Central and South America. This is how we discover the finest coffee beans in the world for New York City—a dedication to quality, not mass production.